Living the Advice You Give

I have two beautiful daughters, and both have recently begun their new careers after the successful completion of their undergraduate and graduate degrees.  Rachel is a public defender in King County, Washington (EPI Center of the pandemic), and Rebekah, works for the University of New Mexico in Human Resources.

Both of these talented woman are now currently sheltered in their homes and working from home. The three of us have talked about how much we just want to hug each other.  As they work amid these extraordinary circumstances; both situations depend on in-person contact with human beings.  Their future employment is uncertain, but their situation is not unlike millions of people around this country.  The pandemic has turned our world upside down as we battle this disease.

My congregation that I serve as a part-time pastor is worshipping behind closed doors; the doors of our own homes.  We so long to join one another in singing, “Shalom to You”, which we sing every Sunday morning as we end worship and prepare to go into the world.

My heart is heavy as I think about my daughters.  I have always tried to protect them.  It pains me to see them so vulnerable and afraid.  They both have significant people in their lives who are experiencing the same things.  I have reached my limit.  I know that I am powerless over this pandemic, and the only thing that I can think to do is to only offer this simply ordinary advice:


  • “Wash Your Hands” constantly
  • Remember:  “YOU ARE NOT ALONE”.  There are others who are walking a similar path.  Listen carefully to others, and find ways to share your best practices with others while observing appropriate social distance. Learn from others their best practices
  • Be kind and compassionate to others.  The world needs to not suffer a compassion deficit as we battle the uncertainty of this time.
  • Remember:  This is a short period of time on a much longer road.  
  • Most important:  You can’t carry the burdens that you will encounter on this road all by yourself.  The mystery of God embraces you and goes before you.  You aren’t all powerful but God is all powerful to love you perfectly.  Lean into to God.  Live as if it is the tomorrow that dream of even when it is know yet.  
  • Live out of your vision, and not your circumstances. 
  • PRAY 
I pray for my daughters as I pray for others.  There is a light in the midst of the darkness, and I believe that we will discover the calm in the midst of this storm very soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parking Lot was Full in Paradise

THE SEARCH FOR HOPE

Adjusting to A New Time in Life