The Gift of Patient Waiting

MARCH 2020
LOCATION:  QUARANTINED IN MISSOULA, MONTANA

Dear Friends,

I thought that I might go ahead and recommit myself to this BLOG as one way to stay in touch with those that I care for as a Pastor and care about as human beings.  My past experiences have been somewhat helpful in dealing with this current reality.  I hope that this post from a couple of years ago will be helpful.  I am in need of a little patience right now!
In Loving Partnership
Ron


“No great thing is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig.  If you tell me you desire a fig, I answer you that there must be time.  Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen.”
                                                                                                                                --Epictetus
Isaiah 40:31 (NRSV)
31 but those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
    they shall walk and not faint.

Let’s be honest with one another.  I know that this probably doesn’t come as a surprise to those who know me, but my growing edge in life is easily named and identified as, “PATIENCE.”  I can be the worst patient because I have very little patience with the healing process.  In fact, I am sure that, in spite of my attempt to hide my impatience, this characteristic is undeniable. 

For the last three years, I have been engaged in what might be called an intense, “Spirit Boot Camp” focused on learning patience as a result of a major automobile accident.    On the 19th of May, 2014, I underwent surgery for the sixth time, and I was gifted with a beautiful artificial knee and a creative bone graft.  Dr.Vernon Hill called my Orthopedic Doctor, the Michael Jordan of the O.R. Room.  Throughout out this journey, I heard a very clear message to be patience with the healing process because God wasn't  finished with me yet. I still struggle with orthopedic issues that will require additional surgery in the near future, but all of this simply gives me more opportunity to learn the act of "PATIENT WAITING".

Here is what I have learned.  I am powerless over my weakness, and I am learning about the profound and necessary truth of the Spirit which God gives to me for this journey.   Like the Prophet Isaiah, I am asking this Spirit to open my heart so that I might wait for the Lord who shall renew my strength, and empower me to run and not be weary. Patience is the gift that I seek from the Spirit because I know that I can’t do it by myself.


I am sure that you have your growing edges that keep you from realizing the fullness of life that God intends for you, and I simply want to encourage you to invite the Holy Spirit into your life to be your advocate, partner, and friend on the journey.  There are times when the road does get difficult and you find yourself waiting for that fresh new fruit that will satisfy your hunger.  Let those moments become opportunities to lean into the Holy Spirit, then that time will become Holy as you wait on the promise of the One who has always gone before you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parking Lot was Full in Paradise

THE SEARCH FOR HOPE

Adjusting to A New Time in Life